10 easy steps to grow Microgreens at home.
Microgreens are a wonderful easy way to include healthy, tasty greens in your diet all year round.
It’s simple, and takes up a minimal amount of time and space for quick and nutritious rewards.
Many speciality stores now stock a range of Microgreens, that are ready to toss into salads or enjoy on your gourmet sarmies. High class restaurants, not to be outdone, are serving up Microgreens as an artisanal offering or part of a gourmet meal.
Microgreens are packed with flavour, are sweet, tender and oh, so delicious. Chefs know this and use it to best effect in some of their most outstanding creations.
To enable you to grow your own Microgreens at home, we at Livingseeds have created unique blends and single seed options that can be used for Sprouting or as Microgreens. Many varieties can be used for both growing options, it’s just a matter of preference on your part.
These quick tips that will help you to produce your own Microgreens at a fraction of the cost of store bought Microgreens.
- Micro greens are basically densely grown seedlings that are cut at the four / six leaf stage.
- Bright light is an important requirement for healthy, tasty Microgreens.
- Small pots or shallow trays with drainage holes are important. (Recycled Styrofoam trays are a great option as you can just toss them when you are done.)
- Fill with a good germination or seedling mix.
- Soak the seed for 2-4 hrs.
- Thoroughly moisten the soil and lightly sprinkle your Microgreens seed of choice into the mix and cover lightly.
- Germination takes 3-6 days and then another 10-14 days to harvest.
- Cut them when they are less than 6cm tall and have more than 4 true leaves.
- Set up successive trays for a continued harvest.
- It really is that simple.